David R. Godine Publisher has a vacancy for a Sales Manager.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Travel and sell to retail and wholesale accounts along the Northeast and the Midwest.
- Manage Edelweiss, Amazon, and Godine website.
- Update and maintain metadata for wholesale accounts, including new titles, and reviews.
- Work with gift accounts, libraries, and any outlet where books are sold.
- Manage national commissioned rep groups.
- Create sales kits, order forms, and related sales materials.
- Maintain and update Godine social media platforms and initiate direct sales and promotions.
The position is based in central Boston, and includes roughly 50% travel in the Northeast and Midwest.
A Bachelor’s degree and one or two years of publishing, bookselling, or sales experience preferred. Strong verbal and written communication skills needed as well as methodical organizational skills. Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated as well as able to integrate into a small team.
Salary commensurate with experience, plus commission.
Please email a cover letter and résumé to Sue(at)godine(dot)com.
Godine offers general internships designed to expose students and recent graduates to the full range of the operations of an independent publishing house. In addition to general office administration (mail, phones, etc.) interns work with our staff on a daily basis on tasks in all departments: editorial, publicity, marketing & sales, and production. Interns are hired for Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
Applicants must have two years of undergraduate work completed. We are looking for people with strong basic office skills (Word, Excel, FileMaker Pro) and good basic proofreading and editorial skills. Experience with graphic arts software (Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) is welcome, but is not a prerequisite. We require a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week for 3-4 months. Internships are unpaid, class credit may be available.
Applications for summer internships should arrive no later than February 28. Applications for fall internships are due by July 15, and applications for spring should arrive by November 21. A writing sample is not necessary.
Please send your resume and cover letter (by post) to:
David R. Godine, Publisher
Fifteen Court Square, Suite 320
Boston, MA 02108
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.